Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Influencer

Not to be confused with the Exterminator or Silencer or whatever the name of that show was--the rogue good-guy who always got his man. This is simply a shameless promotion for a fun summer read.

The blurb: Hillary Manton Lodge's Plain Jayne is the story of newspaper reporter Jayne Tate, who escapes to Oregon Amish Country, seeking solace and maybe a big story. But what's a latte-drinking, laptop-using, motorcycle-riding reporter to do when this life starts to change her?

I say read the book and find out!


I love this story for its fast pace, tight dialogue, and new twist on a much-used subject in Christian fiction. Hillary does a great job crafting characters with quirks and conflicts. She opens a window into the modern life of the Amish and gives us a glimpse of the tension between their world and our own. Her writing is all sprinkled through with personality--clever humor and catchy voice and not an adverb in sight! :-) Well, maybe one or two. My point, though, is that her sentences sing with action verbs.


A great debut novel for a lovely young writer. (Emphasis on young, but we won't hate her for it.)

And there's more! Her second novel in the Plain and Simple series, Simply Sara, comes out in September. (Thanks for the alliteration there, Hillary.) I'm looking forward to spending another evening or three with a familiar cast. Yes, I did say evening or three. Don't be surprised. I told you her writing is fast-paced.


Check out her funny and engaging blog. http://hillaryonwriting.blogspot.com/








4 comments:

  1. What a great review, Miriam, for a great book. I bought it at the winter OCW conference and really enjoyed it. She does write very, well, and I wish Hillary all the success God has planned for her. (Plus I like her because she's another tall woman!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto that ... about the tall woman thing. And of course about the success, too. That includes you, my dear writer friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought it and I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, when are you gonna post something again! :-) Thought I'd give you a hard time ...!

    ReplyDelete