Monday, February 27, 2012

All in Good Time ...

Do you ever feel like a late bloomer? You're in good company here.

I started college late, changed my major three times and so took longer getting through, didn't start on my first career until my late 20's, and didn't get married until my early 30's. Now, in my early 40's, I have an elementary-school-aged child and many mom friends who are anywhere from two to fourteen years younger than I.

And it's taken me an awfully long time to write a novel. Or two.

Late bloomer? Compared to others in my present peer circle, most definitely. But lately I have encouraged by this realization: It's not so much about how quickly I attain to certain milestones in life. It's about resting in the Lord through the journey.

Throughout John 15, Jesus emphasizes the importance of abiding in Him. "As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me (vs. 4)." In the Key Word Study Bible, one of the lexical definitions of 'abide' derives from 'humpeno': to remain under, be patient.

There are times when the Lord delivers, just like that. Or brings us the desire of our hearts before we have experienced great anguish in the longing. (My amazing husband and daughter are both examples of the latter.) But much of our lives is about waiting. Waiting for healing. Waiting for a beloved child to come home. Waiting for a spouse to reconcile. Waiting for a business to take root and grow. Waiting for a publishing contract. Waiting for an agent to take notice of our brilliance. (wink) Working, as we wait, to attain to said brilliance. (wink, wink)

Here's the cool thing about humpeno. I believe that as we "remain under" the Lord's hand through the waiting, we begin to realize that relationship with Him is dearer than anything we can attain. And that's when we bear fruit that lasts. We don't care anymore what we can do for Him. We just want to be with Him, where anything is possible. All in good time.

So wait on, dear ones. He'll make it all worth it.






2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miriam - We are living longer now - 85 to 90. So we late bloomers could now be considered right on time don't you think. :O)

    Also, in regards to 'humpeno' and remaining under...I wonder if it's like waiting for the RIGHT bus. We could be all anxious and jump on the first one that comes only to discover it was going the wrong way. So in our relationship with God I think waiting means we can be assured we will be getting on the bus HE knows is the right one...at the right time... when the location we're trying to reach is actually there - has been built.

    ReplyDelete